Battle of Brandy Station • Tour the Battlefield • Historical & Wayside Markers • The Armies


The Battle of Brandy Station monument was erected on Fleetwood Hill in 1929.

The monument is one of a series erected around Virginia in the 1920s by the United Daughters of the Confederacy to commemorate Civil War battlefields. Consisting of a cast metal tablet set onto a masonry base and placed alongside main roads, they were some of the first highway markers.

Battle of Brandy Station monument on Fleetwood Hill

View of the marker in its previous location about a 100 feet away from its current spot.

Text from the marker:

Battle of Brandy Station 

Greatest cavalry battle of the Civil War
Fought June 9, 1863
Gen. J.E.B. Stuart defeated Gen. A. Pleasonton
Confederates engaged 10,200. Federals 10,900
Casualties, Confederates, 485, Federals 866
This is Fleetwood Hill
The crucial position
Finally occupied by the Confederates

Closeup of the Battle of Brandy Station monument on Fleetwood Hill

Location of the marker

The monument is on the south side of Fleetwood Heights Road (County Route 685) at the crest of Fleetwood Hill, (38.509716° N, 77.879244° W). It has been relocated from a position alongside the road about a hundrd feet away.